The beginnings of the library in Levice were influenced by historical events in a region of mixed nationalities. There were only Hungarian libraries at first. Around 1859 The Casino Library was established, which was the first Hungarian public library with about 1360 items mostly Hungarian books borrowed exclusively by members and visitors of the casino.
Around that time other libraries existed– The Library of Craftsmen association with about 750 books, the Catholic Library with 1767 books and The Dobrovicky`s Library with 1350 books. Later The Hungarian Public Librarywas established with 5000 items.
The first record of a Slovak library is from 1927 the library opened two days per week for six hours. In 1951 The Regional Folk Library throuht a merger of the Slovak and Hungarian libraries. It was later renamed as the Regional Library and since 1996 has been called the Tekovian Library.
The Tekovian Library
Adress: Sladkovicova 2, Levice 934 68
Director: Mgr Jana Holubcova
Contact: phone/fax: 036/6312 802