- The Municipality of Levice was constituted by law after council elections in 1990.
- The statues of the town are originated from the Constitution of the Slovak republic (part nr. 64-71), by the law of Slovak Government and by municipal law.
- The head of the town is the Local Government and the Mayor.
- The Local Government is composed of 25 councillors elected for four years by the citizens of Levice. The elective period is marked by the swearing in of new councillors.
- The mayor is the top representative of the town elected for four years by the citizens.
- The Local Government creates the City Council and commissions, which assist in decision making.
- The Municipal Controller is elected by the Local Government. He is an employee of the municipality and supervises the functioning of the town.
- The executive and administrative organ of Local Government is the Municipality Office.